Monday, April 28, 2014

These Are But Wild And Whirling Nails



I think about my nails and my blog A LOT. When someone catches me lost in thought and ask what's on my mind, more often that not I have to admit, "Umm... my blog". It's a little embarrassing that I seem so obsessed, but honestly I'm grateful to have a "safe place" for my mind to wander back to. In that last few months when life has gotten rough, I have had something positive to focus on, and help push out negative thoughts.

My point in this brief exposé will eventually get to this mani. As a result of nails being constantly on my mind, I often come up with ideas right as I'm falling asleep. I love getting those creative surges, but sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I can't remember my brilliant revelation! I used to have an excellent memory, which my kids have sneakily stolen from me. So when I actually remember something, it's a moment of pure joy! And when that memory actually ends up being something cool, and not a sleep-filled idea that turns out to be pure crap, it's even better. As promised, my point: this spiraling dotted swirl was one such idea I had the other night. It's pretty cool, don't you think?!



As happy as I was to remember this idea, and that it turned out so neat, I was really annoyed that it took soooo long. I'm talking hours here. I usually enjoy the zen-ful peace I get from the tedium of nail art, but this was a stretch for me. I've been wearing this for three days now to balance the time-creating/time-worn ratio. Plus, when I am feeling stressed out, I can just look at the swirl and hypnotize myself into a calm trance.

So as usual, it was worth it in the end. But I can't say that I have a desire to ever do it again. Then again, I can't promise I won't... ;).


For my index and middle fingers, I started with a white base color of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls. Then I used my DRK-A Large stamping plate with Sephora by OPI I'm Wired to add the coral swirls.

On my thumb and pinky, I have a base color of Zoya Caitlin, and stamped with Konad Special Polish in white. I tried doing the white swirls with MBSW, but it didn't show up as well.

For my accent nail I used a rhinestone picker-upper to add dots of MBSW, Caitlin, and I'm Wired. I alternated the colors starting in the middle, then overlapping them in an outward swirl. This took me a few hours because I had to wait a little in between each dot so the colors didn't all smush together.

I finished off each nail with a Seche Vite top coat. 



What I used:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls- white
Zoya Caitlin- gray purple
Sephora by OPI I'm Wired- coral
Konad Special Polish White
Seche Vite top coat
DRK-A Large stamping plate


Do you like it? At what point does a manicure take so long that it's just not worth it anymore? Don't want to miss any of my future half-unconscious inspired posts? Please follow me on facebook, bloglovin', or twitter!

xx Emiline xx



12 comments:

  1. I am so grateful for your craziness. Because I would never spend so much time on my nails (not that there aren't tons if other things I would spend hours on that other people would think are crazy) but since YOU will spend on this time I can admire your handiwork and be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I often get flashes of color combos in my head when I'm laying in bed. If i have my tablet nearby i email myself. My most recent idea was cream grey, yellow and tangerine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That accent nail is amazing! So glad you were able to remember it in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the accent nail :) you should get a voice recorder app so you can mumble those ideas without having to stare at a lit-up screen, or type (both things that tend to wake me back up when I'm nearly asleep, which is annoying) and play them back for inspiration in the morning! I've done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another amazing manicure, Emiline!

    I think it would be hilarious to make a book of all the night-time "inspirations" people get when they're half asleep that turn out to be completely idiotic when recalled in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That would be an awesome book. You should make it. :)

      Delete
  6. I completely understand you. My blog is important for me too, and it became an obsession. I had to stop for one year to blog, because I became ill, I had cancer and after that horrible year I needed again a place that is full with colors and joy and I came back, and when I am down my blog (and of course my family too :)) saves me :)
    I love everything about your design, it is a mix of great colors and fantastic patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope everything is well with you! It's great to have a positive place to go to when you're down :)

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!