Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Colores de Carol Winter/Holiday 2014 Collection


Hello my lovely Society sisters! It has been a frustrating month for me with continual nail breaks that have prevented me from swatching anything worthy of photos. When I received the Colores de Carol Winter/Holiday 2014 collection weeks ago I literally oohed and aahed with each one I unwrapped. I have been patiently, or not so patiently, waiting for my nails to grow out in the meantime. Believe it or not, I had a small break halfway between swatching these but I couldn't let that deter me any longer. At long last, I present to you the collection. I hope you enjoy! 
Oh yes, one more thing. As I've mentioned previously I'm still working on my Photoshop collage skills. It's a work in progress!

Formula:
Colores de Carol polishes are all 5-free (meaning no Formaldehyde, Toluene, DBP, Formaldehyde Resin, Camphor). The formulas were good and easy to work with, with maybe the exception of Mittens. I explain more below. 

Bottle and brush:
The bottles contain .5 fl.oz./ 15ml. The brushes are medium sized and flexible. 


Merry Mistletoe is a scattered holographic shimmery deep green with occasional flakies. This shade is a quintessential Christmas green. It required three thin coats, no topcoat.



Caramel Swirl is a medium scattered holographic warm caramel brown, which also has some occasional flakies. The name is spot on and truly reminiscent of caramel. Okay, you know how much I love neutrals, especially browns. As lovely as this shade is, the warm tones were not flattering against my pale skin. This was two coats, no topcoat.



No Peeking is a scattered holographic black crelly with small and large circle turquoise glitter. This is one of my favorites of the collections so it irks me that it photographed the worst. The small glitter sparkles so much brighter through the black base than is represented here. Just trust me. This was two coats, no topcoat.



Mittens is a very subtle holographic cement gray with a soft pink shimmer and pink flakies. The name is so cute and fitting. I love grays and the pink shimmer is just so sweet. The flakies don't show much on the surface and required me to use a topcoat to even out the surface for photos. This is two coats.



Stockings is a creamy white crelly packed with a plethora of glitter shapes in red, deep green and neon green. This one is really cute and festive! There are so many glitters that are unexpected, my favorite being the parallelograms. Lastly, the neon green is so whimsical and really turns up the party factor. To achieve the opacity I desired I needed three thin coats plus topcoat.



Stuck in the Chimney is a linear holographic medium cherry red with rose gold micro flakies. Even though this shade works well for Christmas, it's one that is wearable year round. This had a really nice formula. I used two coats, no topcoat.



The North Star is a navy blue with pink and blue shimmer. This was the other one that the photos don't do justice to. The polish leans more purple because of the pink shimmer, than shows in the photos. Another good formula. This is two coats, no topcoat.



Blanca Navidad is a "clear base with micro holographic glitter, soft white glitter, iridescent glitter and snow flakes in two different sizes".  The iridescent glitters are SO pretty and the snow flakes make it a little magical. The snowflake glitters are large so they require fishing and placement. The larger snowflakes were too big to lay flat, but the smaller ones fit well on my nail. This is one coat, plus topcoat.



Glitter Garland is blinding with multiple sized and shaped holographic green, red, gold, and silver glitters in a clear base. Looking at it I can't help but imagine having a Christmas tree full of ornaments matching these glitters. Wouldn't that be glorious? Again, the size of the glitters require some placement. This is one coat, plus topcoat.

 Here is one more photo in the shade for good measure.


Each of these polishes retail for $10 and the entire collection can be purchased together here for $81.

Colores de Carol
Instagram

Which is your favorite? I tend to prefer shades I can get more mileage from, but the glitters are so perfect for holiday parties, they're hard to resist.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!