Thursday, March 27, 2014

China Glaze Spring 2014 City Flourish (a few) Swatches and Review

I was so ready start wearing brighter, softer colors now that Spring is here. Aren't you? So when I walked into Sally Beauty (as I often do) and saw China Glaze on sale with buy one get one free, I picked up four of the polishes from their Spring 2014 City Flourish collection. Knowing I shouldn't buy ALL of them, I grabbed four shades that would help me fill in some gaps in my collection.

If you've read any reviews about this collection you'll probably have heard about the issues many have had with the formula. I have to say I am one of the people that struggled with the application. I typically expect to have more difficulty if the polish is really light or pastel. For me, all the effort is worth it if it's a shade you really like and don't already have one like it. On the other hand, if you have a polish that is close enough and has a good formula, I would say you could pass on most of these.


At Vase Value is a bright pastel mint blue creme. I used three coats, plus top coat. My camera didn't like this color, so unfortunately it doesn't show it very accurately. :( It blew out all the color and made it look really white, but it has more depth than this. I do really like the color but the formula is chalky, dries matte, and takes some finesse. 



In a Lily Bit is a pastel lilac creme. I used three coats, plus top coat. The formula was basically the same as above. Still a lovely color that I'm glad I have.



Metro Pollen-tin is a orangey yellow creme. I used three coats, plus top coat. This was the most difficult formula out of the four to work with. I had to be so careful in my application and even then found flaws that were a little bothersome.



Don't Honk Your Thorn is a nude with a subtle silver microshimmer. I used two coats, plus top coat. This formula is different from the other three because of the shimmer, and much easier to work with. I am a fan of nude polishes and feel this is a good addition for me.


Something I found that helped with the application was not to mess with it too much. I tried to apply each coat with as few brush strokes as possible and that seems to make a difference.

Again, the pretty shades paired with the discount price made my purchases worth it. Maybe if I had paid full price I'd feel a little differently. What do you think of the collection? Did you get any or all of them?

3 comments:

  1. These colors are great! I really want to try the nude one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all pretty, and great for spring! At Vase Value is my favorite of this collection but I've heard so many bad things about the formula, I'm not sure if I should get it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!